Home / Forums / Book Report / F Realbook Weird Editing Changes

F Realbook Weird Editing Changes

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • JohnStacy
    April 19, 2019 at 9:18 pm #124458

First of all, thank you for making an F realbook. I really could have used this 12 years ago (which is when I started bugging Hal Leonard to release one). I, along with a lot more horn players than you realize are more than overjoyed that one was released.

That said, I got mine in the mail today and started to just read through it. I noticed some really bizarre editing changes that are weird at best, absurd at worst. For example, in the tune One Note Samba, the second measure of the bridge is shifted up an octave, which not only breaks the musical line, but it also makes it much more difficult to play than it would be if the measure was just left to follow the musical line. I’ve gotten some friends together and we are going to compile a spreadsheet of all these changes, either for our own reference, or in the possibility of a future printing.

The book is very much appreciated, but I think that because there really isn’t much precedent in how F sheets should look, the default was to resort to common editing practices. An alternate thought was that it was made not only for horn, but also english horn. This falls apart because there are many instances of low A, Ab, and G, which are unplayable on the vast majority of english horns.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.